18 September 2006

Stay left!

I learned to drive on the left side of the road! I went out several times for "lessons" with Cr aig since he has done this before. Besides training your brain to drive on the left another challenge was the manual transmission that I hadn't used for about 8 years...and you have to use your left hand! I practiced on the roads of Phoenix Park (twice the size of New York's Central Park). I did pretty well, so we ventured out on the roads of Dublin. We made it home without hitting any cars or pedestrians. The next step was to venture out without Craig as my copilot. We bought a GPS for the car that is loaded with maps of Ireland and it verbally talks you to your destination. It's fabulous! I have now driven 3 times on my own and love the feeling of independence. Dublin is a city where you can walk everywhere in the city center, but it is nice to have a car to get further out.

No comments: